About The Komoka Railway Museum Inc.


 

The Museum was incorporated in 1980.  Its mandate as enshrined in its charter is:

The Museum is housed in the former Canadian National Railway station in Komoka, Ontario. When purchased as a museum in 1978, the building was moved to its present site north of the CNR tracks and adjacent to the Komoka Community Centre.

Many railroad items are available for close examination including telegraph keys, spike hammers, spike pullers, switch lanterns, steam gauges, a railroad safe, a baggage sleigh and a three-wheel velocipede.

The Museum's pride is a 1913 Shay steam locomotive, which is now nearly completely restored.  It rests in its own building along with other artifacts. When restored, a pre-1939 steel-sided baggage car will house the gift shop, office and a model railroad display. 

A tiny 8 ft by  9 ft (2.4 m x 2.7m) Longwoods flagstop station is also onsite.

Serious researchers are most welcome to browse through the Museum's extensive library of books, photos, and newspaper clippings (of which some are published on-line, see below).

Here are some articles about the museum that you may find of interest:

Komoka Railway Museum Opens, by Lorene C. Waugh (July 1986)
Komoka Railway Museum a Labour of Love, by Ron Steele, The London Free Press (Date Unknown)
Komoka Railway Museum Keeps Growing, by Dave Brock, The Age Dispatch (January 22, 1992)
The Railway in 1970,
Ken Devine & Ron Davis
Komoka Station - a Poem, by Alix Vance
2005 Article from the Strathroy Age Dispatch by Lorene Waugh (August 24,2005)

Objects of our Corporate Charter (in full)

List of Charter Members

 

Back to main page